Monday, April 23, 2007

Health check


I went for my sorely anticipated health check today. All in all you’re usual 19-year-old, body issues, bad skin and binge drinking.

When I told my local GP that I could drink my weekly alcohol units on an average Monday night he was expectedly, concerned.

While he did explain the affects on binge drinking I was not offered a blood test to check my liver, nor did he ask how regularly I binge drink.


With more than 20 underage teenagers admitted for alcohol related problems everyday, you would expect the NHS to tackle the problem quickly.

Binge drinking is now level par with obesity as one of the main strains on the NHS, and with more teenagers contracting liver diease than ever before I think a blood test should be mandatory in any health check.

Although I may be a healthy teenager, 1 in 4 British teenagers are obese and morbidly unhealthy. It shocked me when there was little healthy lifestyle advice for teenagers, and little literature for teenagers on the whole.

The topping on this beautifully shocking cake is that I was told it was highly irregular to give health check ups to people of my age. But teenagers and young adults are the most at risk, with many students leaving higher education with an alcohol problem.

All this has made me sceptical about the experiment and the governments ability to progress and find solutions to new problems.

No comments: